Who Should I Call After a Car Accident?

Posted on

A car accident can be a shocking and overwhelming experience, leaving you unsure of what to do next. Knowing who to call immediately after a car accident is crucial to ensure your safety, protect your rights, and streamline the claims process. At Denton, Zachary, and Norwood PLLC Law Firm, we want you to be ahead of the game in case an accident happens to you. Here’s a step-by-step guide on who to call after a car accident.

1. Emergency Services (911)
Your first call should be to 911 for emergency services. If anyone is injured, it’s crucial to get medical assistance as quickly as possible. Even if the accident seems minor, it’s still a good idea to call the police. An official report can be invaluable for insurance claims and legal proceedings.

When you call 911, provide them with:

  • The location of the accident
  • The number of vehicles involved
  • Any known injuries

2. Law Enforcement
If it is a non-emergency situation, you will need to contact local law enforcement immediately. Having a police officer at the scene means that an official accident report will be filed, which is critical for documenting the details of the accident.

Important police report details include:

  • Statements from drivers and witnesses
  • Weather and road conditions
  • Any traffic violations

3. Medical Professionals
Even if you don’t feel injured immediately after the accident, it’s essential to see a medical professional as soon as possible. Some injuries, like whiplash or concussions, may not show symptoms right away. 

Prompt medical evaluation guarantees that:

  • All injuries are documented
  • You receive appropriate treatment
  • You have medical records to support any future claims

4. Your Insurance Company
Notify your insurance company about the accident as soon as possible. Most insurance policies require prompt reporting to secure coverage. Your insurance agent can guide you through the claims process, explain your coverage, and help arrange for vehicle repairs.

When you call your insurance company, be ready to provide:

  • Your policy number
  • Details of the accident
  • Police report number, if available

5. A Personal Injury Attorney
Contacting a personal injury attorney is crucial, especially if the accident resulted in significant property damage, injuries, or disputes about who is at fault. Having an attorney on your side, like Denton, Zachary, and Norwood, can significantly impact the outcome of your case and make certain you receive fair compensation.

An experienced attorney can:

  • Protect your rights
  • Handle communications with insurance companies
  • Gather and preserve evidence
  • Help you understand your legal options

6. Towing Service
If your vehicle is unable to be driven, you’ll need to arrange for a tow truck. Your insurance company may have preferred towing providers or may cover towing costs, so check with them first. 

Keep the following information handy:

  • Location of the accident
  • Your insurance details
  • Preferred destination for your vehicle (repair shop, your home, etc.)

7. Family or or Friends
Notify a trusted family member or friend about the accident. They can provide emotional support, help you make arrangements, and assist with transportation if needed.

8. Additional Tips
Exchange contact and insurance information with the other driver(s) involved. Avoid discussing fault or liability at the scene. Take photos of the accident scene, vehicle damage, and any visible injuries. This documentation can be crucial for your case. Keep records of all medical treatments, repair bills, and any other expenses related to the accident. These records will be important for your insurance claim and any legal action.

Remember to do the following:

  • Exchange information
  • Document the scene
  • Follow up

Contact Denton, Zachary, and Norwood PLLC Law Firm

Knowing who to call after a car accident can make a stressful situation more manageable and allow you to take the necessary steps to protect yourself and your rights. If you’ve been involved in an accident, don’t hesitate to reach out to our experienced personal injury attorneys for a consultation. We’re here to help you navigate the aftermath and work towards the best possible outcome. Always have some form of legal representation when filing a civil lawsuit. At Denton, Zachary, and Norwood PLLC Law Firm, we are experienced with all types of accidents, including bicycle, motorcycle, semi-truck, and car accidents. If you’ve been involved in an accident, contact us so we can help you get back on your feet.

At Denton, Zachary, and Norwood PLLC Law Firm, our top priority is to provide you with the best possible service. We hope these tips are helpful for anyone involved in an accident. As dedicated Arkansas personal injury lawyers, we are here to fight for you. Call us for a free case evaluation, or visit one of our offices in Little Rock, Conway, or Cordova. If you need professional representation, please reach out to us today.

Get Help Now

501-273-1695 It's Easy to Get Started
Either call or fill out the form below to speak with a dedicated attorney from our team
100% Secure and Confidential