What to Do When a Drunk Driver Hits You

Posted on

It seems to happen when you least expect it. During that morning coffee run. Picking up your child from school. On the way home from work. No matter the time of day, car accidents can and will happen. You must always be on the defense when driving. 

However, no one can predict what another driver will do. Especially if that driver is under the influence of alcohol. At Denton, Zachary, and Norwood PLLC Law Firm, we want to make sure you’re prepared if a drunk driver hits you. 

In Arkansas, driving while intoxicated is against the law, with severe consequences. Unfortunately, for some, those consequences aren’t enough to keep them from drinking while behind the wheel. In an article from Little Rock’s KARK, they reported that alcohol is responsible for 34% of fatal Arkansas car crashes. 

Did you know that in Arkansas, if a driver’s blood alcohol content reaches 0.08% or higher, they are considered to be driving while intoxicated? If you’re under 21 years old, the BAC limit drops to 0.02%. Remember, it’s always important to make responsible choices when it comes to drinking and driving.

So, what can you do to protect yourself against drunk drivers? Always be cautious of those around you on the highway. If you see someone weaving in and out of lanes or driving recklessly, you should call 911 to report it. If possible, make sure to take down their license plate number so it makes it easier for authorities to identify the driver.

At Denton, Zachary, and Norwood PLLC Law Firm, we want you to know that we’re here for you if a drunk driver hits you. Part of our job is to make sure you know what to do in the event of an accident involving a drunk driver. Here are some steps to follow to make an awful situation a little less stressful.

Contact Emergency Services
The first step to take is to contact emergency services. Dial 911 immediately after the accident. It’s important to contact emergency services whether you, the other driver, or anyone else might need medical attention. Once law enforcement is on the scene, they will conduct a sobriety test to determine if the driver was driving while intoxicated.

Get to a Safe Location
After you’ve called emergency services, your safety should be your top priority. Make sure to move to a safe place away from oncoming traffic and any potential danger. Pull over to the side of the road if possible, and immediately turn on your emergency flashers. By doing this, you are ensuring that help can quickly arrive at the scene and report the accident effectively. Remember, stay calm and stay safe!

Report the Accident
Once the police are on the scene, they will take your statement. Make sure to recount as many details as possible about the accident. The police will make a report of the accident, and a copy will be made available to your insurance company. If possible, take photos of the damage, write down the names of any eyewitnesses or those involved as well as exchange insurance information. You’ll also want to contact your insurance company to report the accident as well. 

Contact Denton, Zachary, and Norwood PLLC Law Firm
After you and everyone involved are safe, emergency services have been called, a police report has been filed, and you’ve contacted your insurance, that’s where we step in. Always have some form of legal representation when filing a civil lawsuit. At Denton, Zachary, and Norwood PLLC Law Firm, we are experienced with all types of accidents, including bicycle, motorcycle, semi-truck, and car accidents. If you’ve been hit by a drunk driver, contact us so we can help you get back on your feet.

At the Denton, Zachary, and Norwood PLLC Law Firm, our primary focus is ensuring you get the best possible care. Our tips are here to help anyone needing assistance on what to do if involved in an accident with a drunk driver. As Arkansas personal injury lawyers, we fight for you! Call for a free case evaluation or stop by one of our locations in Little Rock, Conway, or Cordova. Please review the steps below and contact us today if you feel you need proper representation. 

What Happens if a Drunk Driver Hits Me?

  1. Contact Emergency Services 
  2. Get to a Safe Location
  3. Report the Accident
  4. Contact Denton, Zachary, and Norwood PLLC Law Firm

Get Help Now

501-273-1695 It's Easy to Get Started
Either call or fill out the form below to speak with a dedicated attorney from our team
100% Secure and Confidential